The ALCS Development Committee is made up of teacher, student, parent and community representatives that meet quarterly. The committee supports several important areas of the 2017 ALCS Strategic Plan. They include the following:
- Examine the funding necessary to support school priorities, particularly as they relate to the strategic plan.
- Expand methods to promote school reputation.
- Examine strategies to increase enrollment responsibly over time.
- Expand ALCS work with other schools.
- Work closely with the Aldo Leopold Charter School Foundation to integrate plans and effort to increase resources for the school.
The committee helps form the working group responsible for the Annual Fundraising Event each year. They also support the Director of Development if that position is filled with a staff member.
Aldo Leopold Charter School Development Committee
Scope of Work
The Development Committee of Aldo Leopold Charter School is established as a Standing Committee of the Governing Council under the ALHS 2009 New Mexico State-Chartered Charter School Renewal Application (Approved December 16, 2009 and amended 2015).
I. Development Committee Purpose
The Development Committee advises the School Director and Governing Council on resource development, community and public relations, marketing, student recruitment, and legislative alliances, and undertakes other specific initiatives or priorities as enunciated by the Governing Council in support of successful operations of the school as it serves the ALCS mission and vision.
Aldo Leopold Charter School provides an engaging and challenging educational program emphasizing direct experience, inquiry learning, stimulation of the creative process, and stewardship of our community and natural environment.
Aldo Leopold Charter School graduates will use the skills, perspectives, and information they gain at school to enhance their own lives and to advance social, economic, and environmental sustainability.
Membership of Development Committee
The Development Committee shall include at least one member of the Governing Council and one member of the ALCS staff. Whenever possible, the committee membership shall reflect an equitable balance among school employees, parents, students, and community members. The Director may serve as a member. Committee members shall be free from, or shall disclose, any relationship that would interfere with the exercise of his or her independent judgment as a member of the Committee.
- Chair – Coordinate and manage the meetings and oversight of the committee. The chair shall be appointed from and by the ranks of the committee.
- Secretary – Manage minutes and ensure that the chair has the minutes for approval and to convey to the Governing Council. The Secretary shall be appointed from and by the ranks of the committee.
- Members – Assist with the function of the committee
Development Committee Duties:
Consistent with Governing Council and ALCS rules and policies, the Development Committee will undertake the following listed duties and such other matters within its responsibilities as may warrant its attention. Committee members may help support the Development Director with grant writing and reviews and other tasks associated with submitting funding requests.
- Make recommendations to the Governing Council in the development of the school’s capacity in the following areas:
2. Community and public relations
3. Marketing and image enhancement
4. Student recruitment
5. Legislative alliances
- Review, at least annually, the long range development objectives of the school and their ability to sustain and build its capacity to accomplish its stated mission and programs; report to the Governing Council annually on such objectives and include recommendations for revision as appropriate.
- Coordinate with other school committees and groups to ensure alignment of development projects with the school’s mission and any Strategic Plans and/or initiatives designated as priorities by the Governing Council or school administration.
- Implement and manage resource development efforts
individual donations and bequests, endowments, and capital campaigns.
2. Coordinate fundraising efforts for various school initiatives and projects with ALHS
staff, volunteers, and other constituents.
3. Manage specific fundraising events/projects.
4. Develop management protocol(s) for ensuring appropriate disbursement of received
funding in any resource development efforts.
5. Ensure adherence with all ALCS fiscal policies and internal controls in any
resource development efforts.
6. If determined necessary, develop a 501(c)(3) organization to provide foundation
support for ALCS and coordinate with it on behalf of the school.
- Develop, implement, and coordinate community relations, student recruitment, marketing, and legislative outreach campaigns.
potential students and their families, and legislative advocates.
2. Coordinate community relations efforts for various school initiatives and projects
with ALHS staff, volunteers, and other constituents.
3. Manage specific publicity and marketing initiative and projects.
4. Develop publicity and marketing protocol(s) for ensuring appropriate public relations.
Development Committee Meetings
- Unless otherwise necessary, meetings of the Development Committee will be held quarterly following a published schedule.
- 2017-18 Meeting schedule: Third Wednesdays: August 15, 2017; Nov. 15, 2017; February 21, 2018; May 16, 2018.
- Meetings are held at 5:pm at Aldo Leopold Charter School.
- Committee members may attend meetings telephonically.
- To facilitate the work of the committee, study and review of committee business may be performed and shared electronically among the members between meetings.