Alternatives to College / Gap Year
Although ALCS strongly encourages its student to maintain academic standards that will make them eligible for attending college, we also realize that attendance at a four year college immediately after high school is not for everyone.
There are various alternatives to the standard four year college track
Attending Community College or Vocational School:
There are many careers out there that don’t require an academic degree from a college, but instead allow for a vocational track or have certification programs.
Getting a Job:
Many entry level jobs that do not require a degree will allow you to advance. Look into any organization you apply to find out what the growth opportunities are. Working at an entry level job can also give you the time, skills and motivation to continue you education at a later date.
Instead of wandering aimlessly, you can be of service and make a difference
- Americorps: https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps
- Foodcorps: https://foodcorps.org/
- Student Conservation Association: https://www.thesca.org/
Taking a Gap Year:
Some students do plan on going to college, but would like to take a break from academia. There are many things to take into consideration when deciding upon a gap year, including the possibilities of losing scholarships (the New Mexico Lottery Scholarship is only available to students who go directly from High School into a college program) Always apply to schools first – once you get in you can ask for a deferment and find out about which scholarships can also be deferred..
Articles About Gap Years
- Time: http://time.com/97065/gap-year-college/
- USA Today: http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/education/2008-06-18-gap-year_N.htm
- Projects Abroad: https://www.projects-abroad.org/volunteer-projects/gap-year/
- Global Citizen Year: https://www.globalcitizenyear.org/think-big/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAyZLSBRDpARIsAH66VQKTDer-lXoa3CbQ08TZv5JEirA8voJYOWC6lg4ecJkBuR7CUHZ6vI8aAv5IEALw_wcB
Summer/Short Term Programs
- Global Leadership Adventures: https://www.experiencegla.com/t2-gap-year-alternative/
- UCSC Farm and Garden: https://casfs.ucsc.edu/apprenticeship/index.html
- USDA: https://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/edtr/sustainable-agriculture-education-directory
- WOOF: https://wwoofinternational.org/
- High Mountain Institute: https://www.hminet.org/about-hmi-gap-programs
- Outward Bound: https://www.outwardbound.org/gap-year-semester-courses/
We will continue to update this page with links to more opportunities
so check back in periodically!!